A selection of event photos and a video from the Bathurst run are available here
Sunday September 13 marks two years since our friend and colleague Dr Kylie Moore-Gilbert was wrongfully detained in Iran. On that day, Kylie’s friends in her hometown of Bathurst will be running in support of their former schoolmate, neighbour and friend. Because of Covid-19 restrictions, you can’t physically join them, but the the FreeKylieMG group invites Australians and supporters of Kylie around the world to virtually join Kylie and her friends on a run, and to share photos of themselves running or walking on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #WeRunWithKylie.
The call to run follows news from a source inside Iran’s Qarchak prison, where Kylie is held, that Kylie has been running during her short visits to the prison exercise area. Although she has only prison-issued plastic bathroom slippers for footwear, Kylie is jogging laps of the tiny enclosed space in an effort to preserve her strength and psychological well-being.
Kylie has shown remarkable resilience against the odds – and on the second anniversary of her incarceration, we call on you to show her she’s not alone. The FreeKylie.net campaign is coming together with friends of Kylie’s in Bathurst, the ‘Free Dr Kylie Moore-Gilbert’ change.org petition, and the Facebook ‘Free Kylie Moore-Gilbert’ campaign, to run for Kylie, and we invite Kylie’s supporters near and far to join Kylie on a virtual run on Sunday.
Here is how to participate:
- Go for a run, jog, walk or brisk stroll on Sunday 13th of September or in the days following. Run alone or with friends, for 2 minutes, 20 minutes, or 200 minutes – it’s up to you!
- While exercising take a picture or video of yourself on your phone or a good old-fashioned camera.
- Post your picture on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook using the hashtag #WeRunWithKylie. You can tag us on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook too.
- Remember to follow COVID-19 protocols in your state or country, including:
- Social gathering restrictions
- Social distancing requirements
- Where required, make sure you have your mask handy for when you start and finish
- Wash or sanitise your hands before and after your run
- Let your friends, family and co-workers know about Kylie and get them to join!